Here’s a list of actual phone interview questions, kindly provided by a colleague who just shone on a phone interview. He said it helped a lot to practice and to have some notes written out, though he did not use them. Here are the questions he recalls:
1) What motivated you to want to apply for this position?
2) What resources do you need to conduct your research?
3) Describe what you anticipate doing in your research over the next 5 years.
4) How do undergraduates fit into this plan?
5) How do you approach working with undergraduate researchers?
6) What courses are you most excited about teaching?
7) What experiences qualify you to teach [insert specialty]?
8) What motivates your interest in community outreach?
Hope this helps! Nail your phone interview!